Retirement is a wonderful time to explore an interest you’ve had to put off in the past. Always wanted to learn more about precious gems? Or perhaps how to sew or knit?
Now you can! The Hampton Roads area helps foster a lifelong appreciation for learning with education programs that run year round. No matter what you think your interests are, you’ll likely find a program that will help you explore that interest.
Check out some of these great educational programs going on in April:
Philosophy Seminar: Explore the foundations of philosophy is this three-part seminar, hosted by the NARO’s Tench Phillips. The seminar will be held at the Muse Writer’s Center.
- When: 7 to 9:30 p.m. from Apr 5 to April 19 on Tuesdays
- Where: The Muse Writers Center, 816-A Orapax St. in Norfolk VA
- Admission: $60. $55 for returning students.
- More Information: Call 757-818-9880 or visit www.the-muse.org.
Ceramics Workshop: Enjoy quality time with your grandchildren at this two day workshop in which you create designs on tiles together. This is an intergenerational workshop.
- When:Apr 18 and April 21 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Where: Primeplus Norfolk Senior Center, 7300 Newport Ave. Suite 100 in Norfolk VA
- Admission: Members $12
- More Info: Call 757-625-5857
Songwriting Workshop: Expressing yourself through an artistic channel such as writing or music is an excellent exercise that promotes wellness. Channel your inner songwriter at this workshop that teaches you the basics of song writing and how to set it to music if you’d like.
- When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 16
- Where: Virginia Beach Central Library, 4100 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA
- Admission: $35
- More info: Call 757-626-FOLK(3655)
Alzheimers Seminar: The Alzheimer’s Association Southeastern Virginia Chapter is offering this free class to anyone who has been affected or knows someone who has been affected by dementia. Brown bag lunches are welcome.
- When: April 18, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Where: Central Library, 298 Cedar Rd in Chesapeake VA
- Admission: Free
- More Info: Call Carol Gurioli at 800-272-2900
Relocating to the Hampton Roads Area in Virginia
If you’ve ever thought about relocating to this beautiful part of the country, now is a perfect time. Given the recent housing bust, prices are incredibly reasonable right now on Hampton Roads homes for sale.
While you’re at it, I also recommend you check out some of the other great communities in the area, including: