A lot of people tend to think that the months of January and February are the doldrums of the entire year because it’s right after the rush of the holiday season and there isn’t really much going on except for a lot of snow.
As your Hampton Roads VA REALTOR, I’m here to dispel that rumor by telling you about a number of fun community events going on this week!
Shag Dance Lessons: You’re never too old to learn a new skill! Come learn this fun ballroom dance style at the Boogie on the Bay Shag Club, which offers free lessons on Mondays. No partner is requiredDuring these sessions, you’ll learn basic footwork, turns and lead-follow technique.
- When: Mondays in January
- Where: Locations vary in Portsmouth, Virginia
- Admission: FREE
- More Info: Email President@boogieonthebay.com
Astronomy Exhibit: Come check out this educational exhibit titled “Visions of the Universe: Four Centuries of Discovery.” This exhibit features a variety of free program activities as well as educational exhibits on how far we’ve come in astronomy and the study of the universe. Some of these events are perfect to bring your grandchildren to!
- When: Now through February 15
- Where: Grissom Library, 366 DeShazor Drive in Newport News
- Admission: FREE
- More Info: Call (757) 369-3190
Sign Language Course: Learn a new language – with your hands! Hampton Roads area residents can sign up for beginner sign language courses this month, which will be held at a conference center in Virginia Beach.
- When: Throughout January
- Where: Holiday Inn Virginia Beach-Norfolk Hotel and Conference Center, 5655 Greenwich Road in Virginia Beach
- Admission: $150 per student, which includes classes, 2 books, 2 DVDS and 2 pocket guides
- More Info: Call 757-969-9876
Musical performance: Come see this incredible production of “Black Pearl Swings” at Wells Theatre. The play follows Pearl, a “living storehouse” of dozens of traditional African-American folk songs, who also happens to be imprisoned for murder. See what happens to her in this riveting play.
- When: Now through February 5; times vary
- Where: Wells Theatre, Monticell Avenue and Tazewell Street in Norfolk, VA
- Admission: Prices range from $10 to $50
- More Info: Call 757-627-1234
Hampton Roads, VA Real Estate
As you can see, the dead of winter doesn’t have to be boring at all for you and your loved ones in the Hampton Roads, VA area.
If you end up attending one of these events, let me know what you think of it!
Until next time,